Monday, June 25, 2012

Giving Your Body a Break

This week I was hit with the startling realization that my body isn't quite as young as it used to be. I came to this conclusion when I awoke Tuesday morning so sore that I was barely able to get out of bed. However, somehow I managed to push myself through three more ladder sets over the following two days until I finally decided to throw in the towel on Wednesday afternoon.


My muscles burned and my body ached, and I needed some rest. It's been almost 6 full months of pretty consistent workouts, and I believe my body was due for a breakdown. So, rather than push through the remainder of the week and subject my body to even more pain, I decided it would be best to relax and pick back up where I left off next week. As Livestrong.com explains, "Working out actually causes trauma to your muscles, and this trauma is repaired after your workouts when your body is at rest."

Pictured: My muscles after this week

With that being said, I took their advice and have listed my results from this week of rest below:

DateWorkoutSetsTotal Time (Morning)Total Time (Night)Beak Time Per SetTotal Burpees
6/18/2012Ladder1417 min 38 sec17 min 41 sec60 sec210
6/19/2012Ladder1417 min 39 sec17 min 36 sec60 sec210
6/20/2012Ladder1417 min 37 secREST60 sec105
6/21/2012REST
6/22/2012REST


6/23/2012REST


6/24/2012REST

This week I'll leave you with a quote from the ancient Roman poet Ovid:


"Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop."


L&R,
Drew

2 comments:

  1. drew, ur gonna have to show me this workout! r u getting the results u want?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea man! I will definitely show it to you. This next week's workouts are a bunch of different variations, so they aren't quite as boring as just plain Burpees. The next time we hang out I'll show you!

    ReplyDelete