Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Super-Grain


This week's post is another shout out to a food that my wife and I became aware of in the past year. It's been quickly becoming more and more prevalent in the health world, and there are plenty of reasons why. If you haven't heard of this "super-grain" yet, then it's time to go to your local grocery store and pick some up. This awesome alternative to rice, beans, pasta, and any other side dish you can think of, is known by it's original cultivators as chisaya mama or "mother of all grains". Most of you may not know this, but those original cultivators I speak of were the Incas, and the mother of all grains? Quinoa.


Superman's mid-day snack

Now, this may just look like your average bowl of rice or couscous, but this my friends truly is the mother of all grains. Per MindBodyGreen.com, Quinoa is "one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids." For those of you that don't know what an essential amino acid is (I'll admit I had no idea), it's basically something your body needs through diet because it can't be synthesized otherwise. I could bore you with the molecular components of an amino acid, but I'll spare you all from one collective facepalm.


Not only is Quinoa nutritionally the mother of all side-dishes, it's even simple to cook and quite tasty. So move aside Granny Smith! There's a new sheriff in town that will keep help that damn doctor away.


As for my workouts this week, everything continued as planned with my two-adays. My results are listed below:

DateWorkoutSetsTotal Time (Morning)Total Time (Night)Beak Time Per SetTotal Burpees
6/4/2012Ladder1314 min 09 sec13 min 55 sec50 sec182
6/5/2012Ladder1313 min 59 sec14 min 03 sec50 sec182
6/6/2012Ladder1313 min 57 sec14 min 06 sec50 sec182
6/7/2012REST
6/8/2012Ladder1313 min 54 sec13 min 55 sec50 sec182
6/9/2012Ladder1313 min 57 sec13 min 52 sec50 sec182
6/10/2012REST

And if this quote from weight-loss coach Jonny Bowden doesn't get you excited about eating Quinoa, then I don't know what will!



"Legend has it that the Incan armies would march for days at a time eating nothing but quinoa and fat."

L&R,
Drew


No comments:

Post a Comment