Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Definition of Experiment

Recently, it was brought to my attention by an acquaintance, that in order to perform an experiment, you need to have one variable and one/multiple constants. They argued that because I am not only doing Burpees, but also cutting out bad-for-you foods, that I am introducing two variables which would negate the experiment. Now I'm always appreciative of any and all feedback/criticism. In fact, I welcome it. But I just wanted to set the record straight before starting this "experiment". I am no scientist, nor do I claim to be one, and I'm not looking for any statistical significance here.

The dictionary describes an experiment as a method of testing with the goal of explaining the nature of reality. My objective is to do just that, in the most general sense. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say it's common knowledge that eating less fast food and drinking less soda will lead to a healthier life style.

Enter stage left: The Burpee

Without this squat thrusting beast of a workout, this "experiment" would end up being just another stupid diet fad. And we all know what happens to stupid diet fads. After Oprah gives up on them, they end up becoming a memory we'd all like to forget, much like many of the "one-hit wonders" of the 80's...Rick Astley anyone???


With all that being said, I will begin my "experiment" in exactly 4 days. Just enough time to enjoy one last hurrah before the New Year.

I'll leave you with the ever inspirational words of the great fluctuator, Ms. Oprah Winfrey:


"Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right."

L&R,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment