Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hell Week

And so it begins...As the first of many brutal weeks comes to a close, I believe one word best summarizes my experience thus far.


                                                 "Ouch."

To say every muscle in my body is 'sore' would be an understatement. But that's the price you have to pay when you start down that winding road toward sedentary liberation. I knew what I was getting into when I first came up with this experiment. Now just comes the follow-through. Below, I've listed my official workout and results from the first week:

Date Workout Sets Total Time Break Time Per Set Total Burpees
1/2/2012 Ladder 10 8 min 43 sec 30 sec 55
1/3/2012 Ladder 10 8 min 16 sec 30 sec 55
1/4/2012 Ladder 10 8 min 34 sec 30 sec 55
1/5/2012 REST
1/6/2012 Ladder 11 10 min 54 sec   40 sec 66
1/7/2012 Ladder 11 10 min 35 sec   40 sec 66
1/8/2012 REST






















As you can see, I decided to start at 10 ladder burpees and painstakingly work my way up over the next few weeks. This means that for the first week or two, my workouts will most likely be under the 15 minute mark that I set out as a requirement for this experiment. However, over the next month I plan on moving up until I reach 15 ladders. Once I reach this plateau, I will begin to vary up my workouts over the coming months, while also increasing the number of reps I do on the days I perform ladders. This will obviously increase the time of my workouts, helping me to maintain my "goal" range of 15 to 30 minutes every day.


(Side note: For any of you that don't know what a 'ladder burpee' is, it's when you start with a certain number of burpees and work your way down each set until you get to zero {i.e. 10, 9, 8, 7, etc...})

I have also decided to make a slight tweak to my weekly workout routine per the direction of my Burpee Advisor (my wife Rae). We decided that due to risk of injury, it would be better to work out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, while spreading out my rest days to both Thursday and Sunday. This will give my muscles more time to recover throughout the week. 

Although my muscles and joints may be aching after only the first week, I know it will continue to improve as my body gets used to the workouts. I'm using the inspirational words from one of the greatest marines that ever lived, General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, as guidance:


"Pain is just weakness leaving the body!"

L&R,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment