Saturday, April 7, 2012

When Life Gets in the Way

Throughout the years, so many of us have set fitness related goals for ourselves, ranging from simple New Year's resolutions, to shedding a few pounds to impress that special someone, to even being told by a doctor you need to lose weight for your health. But what do we do when life happens to get in the way of these goals?

Recently, my in-laws came down to visit for a few weeks, and because my wife and I don't get to see them very often, we naturally spent much of our time with them. This, of course, makes it somewhat difficult to keep a good workout schedule going.


In between hiding and trying to accomplish some real work, I was left with the task this week of mowing the lawn, weeding, and spreading mulch around my property. This may seem menial to some, but when you live on just over half an acre and you're John Deere is out of commission, it can take up more time than you'd think.


Luckily for me, my father-in-law happens to love gardening, so after enlisting his help, we were able to tackle  the yard work and even plant a few bushes while we were at it. But back to the point at hand; how I managed to workout with so much going on this week.

First of all, I'd like to re-iterate that it's important to remember it's not the end of the world if you miss a workout, so don't get down on yourself if it happens. Second, the purpose of this experiment has been to prove that you can do a full body workout in under 20 minutes, so hopefully you have some time away from your in-laws in the mornings when you wake up or at night before you go to bed (unless you live in a Studio Apartment...)


So with that being said, I spent most of my mornings this week working out before I was rushed off to The Home Depot. And despite what you may think, it actually invigorated me throughout the rest of the day!

On a quick note, I added two new exercises this week to liven up the workouts. I've begun doing Burpee Jacks (combo of Burpees and Jumping Jacks) as well as One-Legged Burpees, and my results from the week are listed below.

 Date Workout Sets Total Time  Beak Time Per Set Total Burpees
4/2/2012 One-Leg 4 4 min  35 sec 40 sec 40
4/3/2012 Ladder 15 19 min 50 sec  60 sec 120
4/4/2012 Pull-up 6 9 min 28 sec 50 sec 60
4/5/2012 REST
4/6/2012 Jacks 6 5 min 39 sec 30 sec 60
4/7/2012 Mix 7 11 min 19 sec  60 sec 70
4/8/2012 REST
I'll leave you today with a great quote from a great leader, Sir Winston Churchill:


"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

L&R,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment