Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's All a Mind Game

To me, as I'm sure with many of you, working out has always been a task. Something that I know I have to do to stay healthy, but not something I particularly enjoy. Sure, there are some things I love about it, like being outdoors or being able to run circles around the old guys playing basketball at the gym. But getting in shape has always been a big mind game for me.

"To get off the couch or not to get off the couch." That always seems to be the question. One that I know plagues more people out there than care to admit. But what can we do to keep our minds in the game?

There are several things I've attempted in the past to help try and push me along. One being to buy expensive work out equipment. Quite obviously that doesn't work out well for anyone...Just ask your parents, whose Nordic Track has been collecting dust in their "fitness room" for the past 15 years. I've also tried setting multiple alarms to wake up early and run, I've purchased different "energy boosting supplements", and even looked up the "Brad Pitt - Troy Workout" to give myself a little motivation. After all of this, the conclusion I've come to may be pretty obvious for some but has taken me years to come to terms with.

I've finally realized that everyone is different. Plain and simple. Duh... There is no "perfect" way to stay motivated that works for everyone. All you can do is continue to search for ways to keep your workouts fun and fresh. Now does this mean I will forever be searching for the key to unlock my handcuff from the couch? Most definitely. But throughout this experiment, I'm hoping I can learn more ways to mold my mind into a work-out loving machine.

I'll leave you with a fun quote from Yogi Berra:


"Ninety percent of the game is half mental."

Chew on that one for a while...

L&R,
Drew


No comments:

Post a Comment