Friday, October 28, 2011

Preparing for the Long Haul

In order to prepare for the upcoming 52 week all-out Burpee blitz, there are a few things I've deemed necessary to reflect on beforehand. These are things I believe are crucial to ensuring this experiment is a success.

Footwear

First, I've been thinking a lot about what kind of footwear I'd like to use in the experiment. I'm sure most of you immediately read this and said "how about plain ole running/cross-training shoes?"... but I've been doing a little research on Vibram FiveFingers and am quite interested in how they would perform in this kind of workout.


Apparently, these "shoes" are supposed to add an extra element to your workout by doing a little more to help build your calf and foot muscles. If anyone out there has tried out Vibrams or currently has them, please let me know what you think.

Supplements

I've also been debating for a while now about whether or not to use any kind of supplements throughout the next year or go all natural. If I were to use them, my supplements of choice would be the following:

- Pre-Workout: Assault by Muscle Pharm (Nitric-Oxide Endurance Booster)
- Post-Workout: Combat by Muscle Pharm (Whey Protein)

In my past workouts I've found these particular supplements to be very effective, however this will probably be a game-time decision for me, as I do not want them to potentially alter the results of the experiment. The reason being that if I were use them I'd have to do so every day, and the Nitric Oxide supplement (in my opinion) would not be healthy to take every day of the week for a full year. With that being said, I'll post an update on this before the experiment begins.

Calendar/Work-Out Chart

Some kind of calendar/work-out chart will be crucial for me to keep track of my workouts. My plan is to try and do something different every day in order to stay fresh and motivated.

Do Absolutely Nothing In The Meantime

That's right. For the next few months before the experiment begins I don't plan on working out much at all. Now, I'm not going to get flat out fat like the crazy guy doing the FitToFatToFit thing, but I also don't plan on being in exceptional shape before I go into my doctor's physical. I feel that if I were already in incredible shape, there wouldn't be much to show in the way of results by this time next year. So, in a way, I want to start from scratch in January.

Mental Toughness

In order to continue a workout routine consisting of the same move 5 days a week for an entire year, it's obviously going to take a considerable amount of mental toughness on my part. So to keep me motivated, I will be enlisting the help of my friends and family in order to give me a swift kick in the butt if I ever doubt my progress or want to hang up the towel.

As I will continue to do, I'll leave you with a quote from the great Muhammad Ali:


"It's the lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believe in myself."

L&R,
Drew




No comments:

Post a Comment