Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Burpee Diet

This week I've been contemplating my diet for the upcoming 2012 Burpee Marathon. Now for all of you that know me, obviously know that I am not Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movie franchise.


I don't "eat because I'm unhappy" nor am I "unhappy because I eat". Sure, I do love the occasional Grilled Steak Stuffed Burrito from Taco Bell or the Chicken Biscuit and tater tots from Chick-fil-a, but one thing I've come to understand as I've gotten older is that it's time to start eating healthier. So, I figured why not start with this experiment.

With that being said, I've decided to cut back on a number of items throughout 2012, and I've listed them below:

- Soda (does not count Gatorade/Powerade)
- Candy (does not count Dark Chocolate pieces)
- Fast Food (side note: If I am in a predicament where fast food is all that's available, I will opt for the "healthy menu", i.e. Fresco tacos at Taco Bell, salad at McDonald's, etc...)
- Anything fried (that includes donuts...)
- Alcohol (Beer and Liquor, does not include the occasional glass of wine)
- Junk Food (i.e. Potato Chips, Fruit Roll-ups, Sugary Cereal, etc...)

I'm sure to some, this list seems like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment, but I know to fully participate in a healthy lifestyle, I'm going to have to give some things up along the way. I'm also going to do my best to watch my calorie, fat, carb, and sugar intake, but I don't necessarily plan on keeping a written record of this. Although I know these are important elements of a diet, I don't believe that a person should feel imprisoned by their obsession with counting calories...

Giving up certain foods and eating in moderation are two obvious keys in my mind to living healthier. Of course, you've got to be able to walk the walk if you're going to be talking the talk...

As Francois de La Rochefoucauld so eloquently stated:


"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."

L&R,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment