Sunday, May 20, 2012

Getting that Second Wind

It's now been roughly 5 months since I first started this experiment, and throughout that time I've discussed many of the highs and lows I've experienced. There's been a few walls hit, a few muscles strained, and even an extremely sore big toe. But now, after all this time, I feel like I'm hitting my stride.

This past week is a great example of how I've caught my second wind. For the last 4 or 5 days, I've spent roughly 2 or 3 hours each day outside digging out / chopping up some pretty gnarly roots at the front of my house, working toward eventually putting in concrete for a front patio.

I didn't press any wildflowers...well...maybe a few.

Besides fulfilling my manly duties as a lumberjack, I also made it a point to come inside and do my workouts after the work outside was finished. I'll be honest with you, there were a few days where I thought to myself "I will probably pass out and die if I try to workout right now". But nevertheless, I pressed on and completed my workouts every day and even managed to beat most of my previous times.

One main thing I could take from this week is that I'm truly starting to see a big change in my overall endurance since I've started the experiment. Not only did I complete my workouts after some grueling work in the yard, but I felt good both during and after. Had I decided to give up beforehand and say I was too tired from working outside, I would have never realized I actually had plenty of energy left to complete my workouts.

So, with a renewed energy, I finished all of my workouts for the week faster than ever. The results are listed below:

 DateWorkoutSetsTotal Time Beak Time Per SetTotal Burpees
5/14/2012One-Leg54 min 54 sec40 sec50
5/15/2012Ladder1517 min 02 sec50 sec120
5/16/2012Pull-up67 min 25 sec30 sec60
5/17/2012REST
5/18/2012Jacks76 min 34 sec30 sec70
5/19/2012Mix79 min 14 sec50 sec70
5/20/2012REST

And today I'll leave you with an inspiring quote from a great American philosopher named William James:


"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."

L&R,
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment